Background

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A new crockpot recipe

I mentioned a while back how difficult it is now cook dinner in the afternoon, since Clark isn't really willing to stand beside me and wait patiently while I cook. Well, I have finally gotten off my tushie and found some new crock pot recipes to try so that my family doesn't have to eat take-out, or dinner-from-a-box meals.

I knew before that it was cheaper to buy a whole chicken, rather than buying b/s chicken breasts. But.....I didn't really want to deal with cooking a whole chicken. I came across the recipe that I'm going to share with you today, and decided that it seemed pretty easy.

Today is the 2nd time I'm using the recipe, but I'm not using the whole chicken as my dinner. I'm just cooking it to use the meat in other recipes. I should have enough for my chicken-pot-pie tonight, some chicken salad for lunches for the rest of the week, and possibly a buffalo chicken ranch dip for this weekend.

I found the recipe in a crock pot cookbook, but have changed it to suit myself, so please feel free to do so if you like!


Crock Pot Chicken


4-5 lb. whole frying chicken
1/2 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 can chicken broth
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. dried basil

Unwrap the chicken, and pull the giblets out (Clark was a little confused as I showed him this part! Then I made the chicken "dance" on the counter like my Dad used to do, and he LOVED that part!)
Sprinkle the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper inside the chicken. Fill the chicken with the onions and celery, then tie the legs together.
Lay the chicken in the crock pot, and sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and the dried basil.
Pour the chicken broth around the chicken, and you're done!

I cook mine for 4 hours on high, and then another hour or 2 on low. Your cook time may vary depending on how fast/slow your crock pot cooks, just keep checking on it! This makes it super easy to get this part out of the way in the morning, then I can throw the rest of it together during nap time, and voila!

Hope you enjoy! If anyone tries it, let me know what you think!

Here's how it's looking now, still a few hours to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment