Background

Monday, April 12, 2010

"Mommy Time"

When I was in college, my friends and I used to show up late to make an entrance. We called it being on “Zeta Time.” I didn’t show up to classes, work, or internships late, just some events. It didn’t bother me to show up late then, because even when I was late it was on purpose, and I was probably walking in wearing a cute outfit (without drool or food on it)!

Well, it bothers me now.

No matter how early I get up, or what time I start getting ready, I can’t seem to get anywhere on time. Take Sunday mornings for example. We need to leave our house at 9:15 in order to get to Sunday school on time. 9:15 NEVER HAPPENS. It’s usually at least 9:20, but more often closer to 9:30. And that’s after I get up at 6:30!
I have to get up at 6:30, so that I can shower and get myself ready, so that when Clark wakes up, I’m ready to tackle the exhausting task of feeding, bathing, entertaining, and dressing him before we leave. (Now, usually after all this is done, I could really use another shower, but no time for that!) Only after he is ready, am I able to put my clothes on (which have to wait until last b/c there is no telling what may end up on them while getting Clark ready)!

In order to make it out on time, we have to be downstairs by 9:00. There are bags to be loaded into the car (which I have already spent time packing the night before, in order to save myself that time in the morning), possible last minute diaper changes, sippy cups to be filled, a husband who may need a shirt ironed, and a dog to be fed/watered.

Needless to say, even if we do get out the door on time to wherever we are going, I usually need a nap before we get there. (Not that I could nap in the car, because there is almost always a Veggie Tales movie playing that Clark tries to sing-along to!) For a while, I kept thinking to myself, “It will get better when he’s older, and can get himself ready!” I need to just quit trying to fool myself, that’s not how it’s going to be. I’m sure by that point there will be other things that keep me from getting ready on time, but I don’t even want to guess what those “things” might be.

So basically, I think I’ll just acknowledge the fact that I’ll be forever late, and if anyone has a problem with that, they can just get over it!

1 comment: