Background

Friday, June 18, 2010

Let's be real for a minute...

I’m currently doing a Bible Study called The Search for Significance by Robert S. McGee with some ladies from my church. We are only in the second week of the study, but I feel like I have already learned so much.

Everyone, especially women, since that’s all I know from experience, all feel these emotions we are studying about. Dr. McGee lists these common emotions as The Fear of Failure, The Fear of Rejection, Guilt, and Shame.

I know that all of you have felt at least one of these at some point or another. (Yes…even those of you who always act like you have it all together and look perfect)

My point for writing about this today is to let you know that you are not ALONE! As Mommies and Women, we have so many expectations put on us: whether it’s having a perfectly clean house, doing exactly what we should with our children, or planning the perfect party! (Not to mention looking good while doing all this!)

As I have been doing my “homework” this week for the study, I found it extremely hard to write down examples from my life of times that I have felt these emotions. It almost felt like I was admitting defeat. After I wrote them down; though, it felt like I had a weight lifted off my shoulders. I wanted to stand up and say, “My name is Jamye, and I am a perfectionist!”

I LOVED the section entitled “God wants us to be real.” I don’t consider myself fake, and I can’t stand to watch people who act like they are someone that they aren’t. If you don’t have everything you want, if you don’t live in the best neighborhood, if you aren’t a part of the best clubs or organizations, or if you just don’t have it all together…SO WHAT!

Just be yourself, and be proud of who you are. No one is perfect, so none of us need to act like we are. I believe that God put each of us on this Earth for a specific purpose. So don’t worry about the rest of it. Admit your shortcomings (I know, I know….that will be more difficult for me than anyone else)! Just know that we ALL have them, even those people who act like they don’t!

I really believe the more we share our experiences with other women, we can work to empower each other through the truth!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

1 comment: